All Whale Run courses…
Enjoy the spectacular views of the Seaward Kaikōura Ranges. The mountains are almost close enough to touch, the air is fresh and pure. We have a comprehensive traffic management plan, although sometimes we wonder what traffic we’re managing on these quiet country roads. 10km & 21km distances are marked on the courses. We have portaloo’s and drink stations on the courses for your convenience and when you’re done there’s refreshments and a bit later a nice relaxing prize giving. First drink station is at 6km due to the access to the river bank. Prizes are awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd man/women – non vet and vet (40+) and school age (10-18 years) in the half marathon and 10km events. 1st boy and girl in the Marafun event receive a mannequin for keepsake. Spot prizes follow.
Whale Run Categories:
- 1/2 Marathon Run
- 1/2 Marathon Walk
- 10 km Run
- 10 km Walk
- 2 km Marafun (for school age children 9 years and under)
These ARE NOT hybrid events. A walk is a walk and a run … well, you can walk if you like.
All competitors will have times and places recorded.
These race rules apply in conjunction with the waiver on the entry form
- Entries are not transferable.
- You must wear your race number on your chest, if you want to be timed.
- Follow course as explained at race brief.
- Obey directions of course officials at all times.
- Keep to the left of the road unless otherwise directed.
- If participants choose to wear i-pods or any other kind of earphones we can not accept any responsibility for any accidents caused by them.
- PLEASE NOTE: in the event that both SH1 and Inland Road (SH70) close due to events out of our control, refunds will not be given.
Whale Run Race Day Programme:
Registration Pack Pickup: 9.00 am – 9.00 pm Friday 6 Sept or 7.00 am – 8.00 am Saturday 7 Sept at Kaikōura Suburban School, Schoolhouse Road
Race Brief: 8.30 am Saturday 7 Sept at Kaikōura Suburban School, Schoolhouse Road
1/2 Marathon start time: 9.15 am
10 km start time: 9.30 am
2 km Marafun start time: 9.45 am
Prize giving: 2.30 pm at Donegal House, Schoolhouse Road
Maps on this website are as accurate as possible, no responsibility is taken for incorrect information. Changes may need to be made at short notice due to factors beyond our control.